We recently purchased a Costco membership and, so far, are really happy with it! One thing I have kept asking myself is “which is the best value: Costco vs Amazon’s Subscribe and Save”?
We also use Subscribe and Save for things we always need around the house. Things like toilet paper, vitamins, diapers, toothpaste. It’s really nice to be able to have it show up at the door, without thinking about it.
But since you can buy these things in bulk at Costco, then what’s the best deal?
Below, I break down some common household staples to see who has the best value in Costco vs Amazon. I was actually surprised at some of the results!
In most cases, I was able to find almost 1:1 comparisons. The two exceptions were paper towels (I used each company’s brand name instead) and Band-aids (close comparison, but the variety packs hold different kinds of bandages and one has a travel case).
Table of Contents
Case of water
Comparing: Perrier Carbonated Mineral Water, 16.9 Fl Oz (24 Pack) Plastic Bottles (Amazon) to Perrier Sparkling Mineral Water, 16.9 fl oz, 24-count (Costco)
- Amazon: $12.61 for 24 pack of plastic bottles ($0.53/bottle)
- Costco: $19.49 for 24 pack of plastic bottles ($0.81/bottle)
Comparing: Namaste Foods Organic Perfect Flour Blend, 5 Pound – Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Amazon) to Namaste Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend, 6-pack (Costco)
- Amazon: $15.84 for a 5 lb bag ($3.17/lb)
- Costco: $54.99 for a 6 pack of 48 oz bags ($3.06/lb)
Comparing: Tide Mountain Spring He Turbo Powder Laundry Detergent 68 Loads, Ultra Mountain Powder, 95 Ounce (Amazon) to Tide HE Powder Laundry Detergent, Original, 180 loads, 254 oz (Costco)
- Amazon: $29.83 for 95oz – ($0.31/oz)
- Costco: $32.99 for 254oz ($0.13/oz)
Comparing Folgers Classic Roast Medium Roast Ground Coffee, 22.6 Ounces (Pack of 3) (Amazon) to Folgers Classic Roast Coffee, Medium Roast, 51 oz (Costco)
- Amazon: $13.07 for pack of 3, 22.6oz each – ($0.19/oz)
- Costco: $9.99 for 51oz – ($0.20/oz)
Comparing: Cottonelle Ultra ComfortCare Soft Toilet Paper with Cushiony CleaningRipples, 24 Family Mega Rolls (Amazon) to Cottonelle Ultra ComfortCare Bath Tissue, 2-Ply, 200 sheets, 36 rolls (Costco)
- Amazon: $20.90 for 24 rolls, 325 sheets each – ($0.27/100 sheets)
- Costco: $27.99 for 36 rolls, 200 sheets each – ($0.39/100 sheets)
- Costco (Kirkland Signature Bath Tissue, 2-Ply, 425 sheets, 30 rolls): $19.99 ($0.16/100 sheets)
Amazon’s brand (Amazon Brand – Presto! Flex-a-Size Paper Towels, Huge Roll, 12 Count = 30 Regular Rolls) to Costco’s brand (Kirkland Signature Create-a-Size Paper Towels, 2-Ply, 160 Sheets, 12-count)
If you’re interested in saving even more in paper towels, check out my ditch the disposables post, where we save hundreds every year!
- Amazon: $23.27 for 12 rolls of paper towels, 158 sheets – ($0.01/towel)
- Costco: $19.99 for 12 rolls of paper towels, 160 sheets – ($0.01/towel)
Comparing: Dove Beauty Bar Gentle Cleanser for Softer and Smoother Skin with 1/4 Moisturizing Cream White More Moisturizing than Bar Soap, 3.75 oz, 6 Bars (Amazon) to Dove White Bar Soap 3.75 oz, 16 Bars (Costco)
- Amazon: $6.54 for 6 bars of soap – ($0.29/oz)
- Costco: $16.99 for 16 bars of soap – ($0.28/oz)
- Costco (Kirkland Signature Bar Soap with Shea Butter, 15 Bars): $10.99 for 4.5oz bars, 15 count ($0.16/oz)
Comparing: PURA D’OR Advanced Therapy System Shampoo & Conditioner – Increases Volume, Strength and Shine, No Sulfates, Made with Argan Oil, All Hair Types, Men & Women, 16 fl oz (Packaging may vary) (Amazon) to Pura d’or Advanced Therapy Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo & Conditioner Hair Set (Costco)
- Amazon: $40.49 for shampoo and conditioner set (16oz each) – ($1.27/oz)
- Costco: $39.99 for shampoo and conditioner set (24oz each) – ($0.83/oz)
- Costco (Kirkland Signature Moisture Shampoo 33.8 fl oz; Kirkland Signature Moisture Conditioner 33.8 fl oz): $11.99 for shampoo; $9.49 for conditioner – ($0.36/oz; $0.28/oz)
NOTE: at the time of writing this post, I used my Rakuten Chrome extension to find the same brand of dog food for $3 cheaper on Chewy.com! Which is pretty cool, since I wasn’t even on Chewy’s website at the time!
Comparing: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food (Amazon) to Blue Buffalo Adult Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice, 38 lbs (Costco)
- Amazon: $26.98 for 15lbs – ($1.80/lb)
- Costco: $62.99 for 38lbs – ($1.66/lb)
- Costco (Kirkland Signature Adult Formula Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Dog Food 40 lb.): $40.99 – ($0.98/lb)
NOTE: another win with Rakuten! It popped up with the cheapest price found on the web at Rite Aid, for another $5 in savings!
Comparing: Huggies Little Snugglers Baby Diapers, Size 1, 198 Ct, One Month Supply (Amazon) to Huggies Plus Diapers Sizes 1 – 6 (Costco)
- Amazon: $32.98 for 198 diapers – ($0.17/diaper)
- Costco: $39.99 for 198 diapers – ($0.21/diaper)
- Costco (Kirkland Signature Diapers Sizes 1-6): $29.99 for 192 diapers ($0.12/diaper)
Comparing: Cascade Complete Dishwasher Pods, ActionPacs Detergent, Fresh Scent, 78 count (Amazon) to Cascade Complete Dishwasher Detergent Actionpacs, 90-count (Costco)
- Amazon: $15.27 for 78 pods – ($0.20/pod)
- Costco: $18.99 for 90 pods – ($0.21/pod)
- Costco (Kirkland Signature Premium Dishwasher Detergent Pacs, 115-count): $11.79 – ($0.10/pod)
Comparing: Sensodyne Toothpaste for Sensitivity, Extra Whitening for Sensitive Teeth, 4 Ounce (Pack of 3) (Amazon) to Sensodyne Extra Whitening Toothpaste 6.5oz (184g), 4-pack (Costco)
- Amazon: $13.12 for pack of 3, 4oz each – ($1.09/oz)
- Costco: $29.99 for pack of 4, 6oz each -we ($1.15/oz)
Comparing: Genuine Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Toothbrush Head, 2 Pack, Black, HX6062/95 (Amazon) to Philips Sonicare DiamondClean with BrushSync, Replacement Toothbrush Heads, 6-count (Costco)
- Amazon: $22.91 for 2 toothbrush heads – ($11.46/head)
- Costco: $49.99 for 6 toothbrush heads – ($8.33/head)
Comparing: Dove Antiperspirant For Sweat Block Sheer Fresh 48-Hour Deodorant Protection 2.6 oz 4 count (Amazon) to Dove Advanced Care 100 Colors Clear Finish, 2.6 Oz, 4-pack (Costco)
- Amazon: $11.89 for a pack of 4, 2.6oz each – ($1.14/oz)
- Costco: $14.99 for a pack of 4, 2.6oz each – ($1.44/oz)
Comparing: simplehuman Code J Custom Fit Drawstring Trash Bags 30-45 Liter / 8-12 Gallon, 100 Count, White (Amazon) to Simplehuman Code J Custom Liners 100 Pack (Costco)
- Amazon: $26.99 for 100 trash bags – ($0.27/bag)
- Costco: $24.99 for 100 trash bags – ($0.25/bag)
- Costco (Kirkland Signature Flex-Tech 13-Gallon Kitchen Trash Bag, 200-count): $15.99 – ($0.08/bag)
Comparing: Duracell – CopperTop AA Alkaline Batteries – long lasting, all-purpose Double A battery for household and business – 20 Count (Amazon) to Duracell CopperTop AA Alkaline Batteries – 40 count (Costco)
- Amazon: $13.58 for 20 batteries – ($0.68/battery)
- Costco: $17.99 for 40 batteries – ($0.45/battery)
- Costco (Kirkland Signature AA Alkaline Batteries, 48-count): $16.99 – ($0.35/battery)
Comparing: Similac Pro-Advance Non-GMO Infant Formula with Iron, with 2’-FL HMO, for Immune Support, Baby Formula, Powder, 36 Oz, Pack of 3 (One-Month Supply) (Amazon) to Similac Pro-Advance HMO Infant Formula 34 oz, 2-count (Costco)
- Amazon: $99.14 for 36oz, pack of 3 – ($0.92/oz)
- Costco: $69.99 for 34oz, pack of 2 – ($1.03/oz)
- Costco (Kirkland Signature ProCare Non-GMO Infant Formula 42 oz, 4-pack): $82.99 – ($0.49/oz)
Comparing: Genuine Bayer Aspirin 325mg Coated Tablets, Pain Reliever and Fever Reducer, 100 Count (Amazon) to Genuine Bayer 325 mg. Aspirin, 500 Coated Tablets (Costco)
- Amazon: $5.52 for 100 count of aspirin (325mg) – ($0.06/pill)
- Costco: $14.99 for 500 count of aspirin (325mg) – ($0.03/pill)
Comparing: Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandage Family Variety Pack in Assorted Sizes including Water Block, Sport Strip, Tough Strips, Flexible Fabric and Disney Bandages for First Aid and Wound Care, 120 ct (Amazon) to Band-Aid Adhesive Bandages 188 Count with Case (Costco)
- Amazon: $8.47 for 120 count, variety pack – ($0.07/Band-aid)
- Costco: $15.99 for 188 count, variety pack with carrying case – ($0.09/Band-aid)
Comparing: Feit Electric PAR20/LEDG6/2/CAN 50W Equivalent 8 Watt PAR20 Soft LED, 3000K Warm White, 2 Bulb (Amazon) to Feit Electric LED PAR20 Spot Bright White, 12-pack (Costco)
- Amazon: $21.41 for 2 bulbs – ($10.71/bulb)
- Costco: $49.99 for 12 bulbs – ($4.17/bulb)
Comparing: Reynolds Wrap Standard Aluminum Foil – 200 Square Feet (Amazon) to Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil, 12 in x 250 ft, 2-count (Costco)
- Amazon: $8.07 for 200ft of foil – ($0.04/ft)
- Costco: $20.99 for 250ft of foil, 2 count – ($0.04/ft)
- Costco (Kirkland Signature Reynolds Foodservice Foil, 12 in x 1,000 ft): $27.99 – ($0.03/ft)
If we’re just looking at comparing brand name to brand name, it looks like Costco wins by just a smidge.
Costco has 11 wins over Amazon’s 9 wins, and there’s 1 tie.
If we’re adding in comparable Kirkland brand alternatives, Costco takes the cake by a long shot.
Amazon has 5 wins and Costco has a whopping 14 wins.
What I was surprised about was how much Amazon gave Costco a run for their money! I thought that Costco would beat out Amazon without a question. But as I sat here comparing the numbers, I was (pleasantly) surprised.
It looks like we are going to keep some of our Amazon subscriptions active, given these numbers!
Are you also surprised at the results of looking for the best value in Costco vs Amazon? Do you use Amazon’s Subscribe and Save, and if so, what deals do you find the best? Or do you prefer to use a bulk food store for your household staples?
Let me know in the comments!